Bangladesh - Foundation for a Smoke-Free World

state of smoking and health in bangladesh

This page was last edited on: February 8, 2024 at 3:40 pm

smoking rate (2023)

17.4% 2023 [1]

tobacco use rate (2023)

31.7% 2023 [1]

Tobacco Use and Trends

  • In 2023, an estimated 40 million adults aged 15 years and older in Bangladesh used tobacco products. This positions the country as the 5th globally and the 3rd WHO South East Asia (SEAR) in terms of number of tobacco product users.

  • Approximately 22.4 million people are current tobacco smokers where 78% or 17  million are cigarette users and 5 million or 22.4% are other types of (e.g. bidi users) tobacco smokers.
    • Among female tobacco users, 75%, or 197 thousand use other types of smoking tobacco (e.g. bidis) while the rest of 25%, or 65.7 thousand use cigarettes.

Health and Economic Burden From Tobacco Use

  • In 2019, tobacco was the 4th highest risk factor driving the most deaths and disability combined in Bangladesh, accounting for more than 129 thousand deaths [2], or 24% of all deaths in the country.

    • Of tobacco deaths, 105 thousand or 82% were attributed to tobacco use and 25 thousand or 19% were to secondhand smoke exposure.

  • The most death and disability combined causes were Stroke (2nd top), Ischemic heart disease (IHD) (3rd top), and COPD (5th top) in 2019, where tobacco was responsible for 31 thousand or 25% of total IHD deaths, 30 thousand or 64% of all COPD deaths, and 25 thousand or 18% of all Stroke deaths.

  • Tobacco use causes an estimated loss of 36 million disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) – 74% of total DALYs where tobacco accounts for the loss of 849 thousand DALYs for IHD, 701 thousand DALYs for COPD and 636 thousand DALYs for Stroke.

  • Tobacco causes a substantial economic burden, totaling an estimated USD 3.6 billion annually.

regulatory environment & Economics

Public Health Commitment
  • Bangladesh ratified the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) in 2004.

  • Implemented Graphic Health Warnings (GHWs) on CCs in 2016, covering 50% of the front and back of the package surfaces.
Diverse Tobacco Market
  • HTPs and e-cigarettes are legal but HTPs are not marketed as of 2023.

  • E-cigarettes are not subject to any specific regulations.
Taxation Policy
  • Total tax rate on retail prices of a pack of cigarette was 4% in 2022.
Smoking & Advertising Bans
  • Bangladesh implemented a slightly less than comprehensive advertising ban and slightly more than minimum smoking ban with moderate compliance of both on tobacco products in 2022. There are no legal smoking and advertising restrictions imposed on e-cigarettes.
Age Restrictions

TOBACCO PRODUCTION AND DIVERSIFICATION

  • In 2022, Bangladesh produced approximately 92.3 thousand tons of unmanufactured tobacco. This accounts for about 1.6% of the global production of 5.8 million tons. Compared to 2010, when Bangladesh produced 55.3 thousand tons, there has been an increase of 67.0%.
  • Bangladesh utilized an estimated 40.6 thousand hectares of land to harvest tobacco in 2022, which is an increase of 6.1% compared to 2010. (FAOSTAT)
infographic that reads There are 40 million adult tobacco product users in Bangladesh Tobacco use prevalence is considerably higher among men (49.7%) than women (13.6%) Smoking rate 17.4%

As research findings become available that are inclusive of additional gender identities, the Foundation will update the information presented. 

[1] Source: World Health Organization: Non-age-standardized estimates of current tobacco use, tobacco smoking and cigarette smoking (Tobacco control: Monitor) and The World Bank’s Population Estimates and Projections.

Explanation: This estimate is calculated by applying the WHO’s estimated percentage of tobacco smokers for 2023 to the World Bank’s projected population figures of the same year for 15 years and older. These figures should be used with caution, as they do not account for the 95% credible interval around the estimate.

[2] Global Burden of Disease 2019 https://vizhub.healthdata.org/gbd-results/

Skip to content
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux