Request for Proposals: Biomarkers of nicotine product use
Researchers studying people’s smoking behaviors (e.g., cigarette smoker, vaper, smokeless tobacco user, nicotine-replacement therapy [NRT] user, nonuser) need to know what products, in what quantities, people are using. Today, this is mostly done through self-reporting and surveys with limited accuracy and reliability. Some objective biomarkers of exposure exist for some of these products, but there is currently no panel of biomarkers (including digital biomarkers) that can determine, with appropriate sensitivity and accuracy, a research subject’s use of different products containing nicotine. Our consultations with researchers and experts have highlighted the need for such a biomarker panel.
The Foundation for a Smoke-Free World is excited to kick off work in this important area with a multimillion-dollar funding initiative to investigate biomarkers of exposure to nicotine delivery products. On this page you will find:
- The Request for Proposals (RFP)
- Links to the application portal:
- The results of an independent review of the current landscape of biomarkers of exposure associated with nicotine-delivery products, commissioned by the Foundation and conducted by ToxStrategies, a multidisciplinary scientific consulting firm - CLICK HERE to download.
- Application portal FAQs
We look forward to receiving scoping proposals in accordance with the following timelines:
- Deadline for receipt of scoping proposals: Sep 28, 2018
- Communication of application status to all applicants: Oct 12, 2018
- Submission of final scoping work: Nov 30, 2018
- Announcement of research grants: Dec 21, 2018
For technical issues, please contact us at email@example.com