|Welcome to the inaugural quarterly newsletter of the Agricultural Transformation Initiative (ATI), in which you will hear all about our work in Malawi. Do you have colleagues or friends who should be receiving this newsletter? Send them this link to sign up! You can also follow us on LinkedIn.|
Agricultural Transformation Summit moderator Femi Oke and keynote speaker Ani Charles Bassey-Eyo
|The ATI was proud to host our inaugural Agricultural Transformation Summit in December in Lilongwe. As a newly formed initiative of the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World (FSFW), the Summit was our way to start off operations in Malawi with a splash. We connected with key private and public sector partners to discuss commercially viable agricultural value chains in Malawi, catalyze new partnerships and initiatives to support smallholder farmer diversification, and so much more. For more information on the Summit, check out our blog.|
|We’re delighted to announce the following initiatives, which have been fully approved and are currently in various stages of start-up:|
Center for Agricultural Transformation
- A world-class hub to combine scientific research, smallholder farming, business incubation, and large-scale commercialization to facilitate transformational agricultural development.
Investment Support Facility
- A program to support the packaging of international investor–grade transactions and the development of smallholder-inclusive business models.
LUANAR Scholarship Fund
- In partnership with the Rotary Club of Lilongwe, a pilot fund for exceptional lower-income students to complete agricultural studies at the Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR).
Technology-Enhanced Finance and Training Extension Pilot
- A pilot program to support a range of technology-enhanced, market-based solutions to increase non-tobacco agricultural incomes through the delivery of last-mile financial and extensions services to smallholder farmers. The pilot aims to (1) unlock the flow of capital for non-tobacco value chains and (2) deliver agricultural extension services and connect farmers to financial services.
|UPCOMING EVENTS AND TRAININGS|
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Map. FSFW, 2019. Map and report explores FSFW’s three core initiatives, their interdependence, and how each aligns with and advances the SDGs of the United Nations.
- Agriculture, Food Security, and Nutrition in Malawi: Leveraging the Links. International Food Policy Research Institute, 2018.
- Farm-Level Economics of Tobacco Production in Malawi. Center for Agricultural Research and Development, LUANAR, 2016.
- Banking in Africa: Delivering on Financial Inclusion, Supporting Financial Stability. European Investment Bank, 2018.
The ATI is a core pillar of the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World, an independent, U.S. nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with the purpose of improving global health by ending smoking in this generation.