About the Position
Reporting to the Interim Co-President overseeing the Foundation’s efforts around its long-term sustainability and diversification of funding sources, the Director, Development will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive multi-year plan to secure new funding sources to support the long-term sustainability of the Foundation, and co-funding partners to increase the Foundation’s impact. Critical to the success of the Director, Development will be the ability to identify, foster, and steward relationships with potential donors and co-funding partners.
- Collaborate with Interim Co-Presidents, Executive Team, Board, and others to create the Foundation’s development agenda and plan for long-term sustainability and funding diversification consistent with the Foundation’s strategic plan and mission.
- Leverage and grow current stakeholder and grantee relationships to cultivate new funding sources and connect with potential donors and co-funding partners.
- Create tailored engagement strategies and a compelling case targeted to varying audiences, including foundations, corporate partners, individuals, public funding sources, and others.
- Develop, track, and refine annual and multi-year strategies and targets.
- Regularly report on strategies and activities against goals to FSFW’s Executive Team and Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with the Communications team to attract attention from potential supporters and raise awareness for the work that the Foundation is funding.
- Additional duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the development field with a non-profit organization, or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record of using effective fundraising techniques, creating a development plan, securing donors, and meeting and exceeding an organization’s fundraising goals.
Characteristics and Attributes
- Passion for the mission of the Foundation and a commitment to the organization’s values.
- Presence and gravitas to confidently serve as a representative of the Foundation to potential donors and co-funding partners and garner their respect.
- Strong emotional and situational intelligence.
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders at varying levels across an organization.
- Thrives in a “hands on” role handling a diverse range of projects and being responsible for all aspects of them.
- Detail oriented and accurate with strong quantitative, financial, and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to establish plans, juggle conflicting priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Absolute integrity and discretion.
- Willingness to work collaboratively, and transparently.
- Understanding of non-profit business structures preferred.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work for this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
This position is a hybrid position, which will work remotely and at the Foundation’s New York City office. Candidates within the NYC metro area, only (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut) will be considered.
The exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location and will be in the range of $150,000 – $200,000.
To protect the health and safety of our employees, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 two weeks prior to their start date. The only potential exception to this rule is for applicants who cannot be vaccinated due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief.
The Foundation for a Smoke-Free World is an equal employment opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination and we are committed to an inclusive workplace.
Interested applicants should send an email to HRManager@smokefreeworld.org with “Director, Development” in the subject line. Please include a resume and cover letter. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.