ATI Annual Summits
Each year, the Foundation’s Agricultural Transformation Initiative (ATI) will hold an Agricultural Transformation Summit in Malawi to discuss efforts to develop and diversify Malawi’s tobacco-dominated economy, leading to a reduction in traditional reliance on the tobacco sector. The Summit will convene key private and public sector actors engaged in developing alternative livelihoods and commercially viable agricultural value chains in Malawi. The intent is to catalyze new partnerships and initiatives that will support smallholder farmers in diversifying crop production and in improving economic opportunity, thus leading to sustainable change.
Our next Summit will be held in Lilongwe at the end of 2019. Details will be published on this site as soon as they are available.
On December 4-5, 2018, we met with over 150 delegates from across the public and private sectors and held an engaging discussion to help chart an action-oriented way forward to assist in the transformation of Malawi’s agricultural landscape. Key stakeholders from the farming sector, including smallholder farmers and tobacco leaf companies; the private sector; the government; banks; investment advisors; universities; and many more, focused on exciting in-country diversification efforts.
To learn more about the conference, you can review the following resources:
- Action-packed agenda
- Emerging Opportunities for Tobacco Farmers, presented by Fraym
- Inclusive Growth Models for Agricultural Diversification, presented by Palladium International
- Impacting Smallholder Livelihoods Through Spatial Analysis and Planning, presented by the Organization for Permanent Modernity
- Reshaping Malawi's Agricultural Sector, presented by FSFW
- Speaker bios
- Post-conference blog
- Pitch competition blog and videos
- Post-summit articles, including:
We also announced the following initiatives:
- The Center for Agricultural Transformation
An agricultural Center of Excellence in Malawi, focused on science, technology, and innovation, as well as business incubation and commercialization.
- The Investment Support Facility
A technical facility with the mandate to facilitate access to capital from local and international investors for agri-businesses of different sizes.
- Agri-preneur Pitch Competition
Four youth in agri-business, or “agri-prenuers,” had the chance to showcase their work and passion for the sector and compete for awards. You can find their pitch videos on our website under “Agriculture & Livelihoods.”
- The 2nd Round of Agricultural Transformation Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
A multimillion-dollar facility to provide grant funding for commercially driven concepts that have the potential to transform smallholder farmers’ livelihoods.
- Digital Financial Services (DFS) for Smallholders Challenge Fund RFP
Announcement of a DFS Challenge Fund RFP focused on incentivizing the fintech sector to test innovative models for reaching smallholder farmers.
- LUANAR Scholarship Announcements
Announcement of a pilot scholarship fund in partnership with Rotary International.